Slipping into Summer Mode

6/6/2021

Hi there! So glad you’ve landed here. Welcome (back) to the blog. It’s a glorious late spring weekend in Madison. The Sound is but a mere 56°F today but the air is warm and fragrant, carrying wafts of beach rose, seaweed, and iris as it sweeps through the treetops. After more than six months of chilly grey days, this kind of weather feels heavenly. Currently, I’m reclining under the shade of tall tulip poplar, soaking in as many of the sounds and smells of new life as I can. It’s a long-needed meditation.  

Last year at this time, everything was unpredictable. It felt like we were all going through the motions without really knowing what was going to happen next. I’m relieved to say that this is no longer the case. Over half of Madison residents are fully vaccinated which means that we can start throwing away these awful masks (or face diapers, as one resident put it) that have made us afraid of ourselves and each other, which have caused us so much discomfort and frustration over the past two years, and which are a constant reminder of life’s brevity.

I don’t know about you but I’m dreaming of picnicking for every meal. Whether it be on the Madison Town Green, Bauer Park, Rettich Preserve, Rockland Preserve, or even down by the water, the ability to gather outside with friends and family I haven’t seen in a long time is what I’m most looking forward to this summer.

I’m starting things out simple. This week, rhubarb will be the star, and, of course, strawberries the side-kick. Rhubarb is one of those vegetables that take you right back to your childhood yet it’s wonderfully sophisticated and elegant in desserts. I hope you will share your own rhubarb explorations and give feedback on the recipes I share!